How to make a cutting board easily with wood and Tung Oil.
This post contains affiliate links which may earn me commissions should you click through them and take certain actions. As an affiliate for Amazon and other sites, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please DIY carefully. View my full legal disclosures here.
Please read the whole post so you don’t miss any important information!
The tung oil in this post was provided by Old Fashioned Milk Paint Company.
I’ve been seeing a lot of neat cutting boards recently and it had me intrigued. We own some pretty plain plastic ones and the nice ones are SO much better to photograph food on. Blogger problems: My cutting board is ugly!
Also, plastic isn’t environmentally friendly and cut marks in your plastic cutting boards can give bacteria a place to grow. Wood is the preferred choice, with bamboo coming in second.
Needless to say, a lot of the cutting boards are very complicated to make and use multiple types of wood. I’m not skilled enough for that yet.
They came out great. They’re not quite as fancy, but they are still a HUGE improvement over my current cutting boards. These would make amazing gifts! I would definitely use a different wood next time.
- Wood: You want a wood that is safe for cutting boards.
- Hope’s 100% Tung Oil
- Optional: Wood burning kit
- Something to cut your wood with
How to Make a Simple Cutting Board
Start by sanding your board.
Once you’ve done that really well, you can use your printer to print out what you want your cutting board to say. Tape that piece of paper over your cutting board. Use a pen to press down hard to trace the words onto the wood. This just creates a small indentation.
Now you can use your wood burner to trace the words again and deepen the grooves.
Once finished, dust off your board. Then you can wipe on your tung oil. You’ll want a few layers, letting them dry in between.
When your cutting board gets worn, you can sand off the cut marks, then reapply your tung oil.
Don’t forget! Share your final projects on the Stuff Mama Makes Facebook Group!
Love it? Pin it!
Here is a list of all the gift tutorials in this series:
- DIY Grocery Bag Holders
- How to Make Homework or Art Displays
- Easy to Make Cloth Napkins or Wipes
- Mint Extract Recipe
- Reusable Bread Bag DIY (to give with fresh bread)
- MYO Braided Dog Toy
- Make your own Paper Mache Pokeball
- Peach Infused Liquor Recipe
- Sewing Pattern: Extra Large Pot Holder
- Make a Fabric and Wood Cross
- Adult Women’s Apron Pattern
- DIY Cake Mix Cookies in a Mason Jar
- Pillowcase DIY
- How to Make a Library Tote Bag
- Craft Easy Tile Coasters
- Free Coffee Sleeve Pattern
- Craft an Essential Oil Storage Box
- Learn to Make Reusable Bowl and Casserole Dish Covers
- Make your own Dry Oil Perfume
- FREE Lunch Bag Pattern
- DIY Wall Decals
- How to Make Ice Packs Shaped like Pokeballs!
- Cement Candle Holders DIY
- Build Easy Wood Step Stools
- Make Easy Soy Candles
- How to Make T-Shirt Stencils Using Freezer Paper
- DIY Balancing Wine Holder
- How to Make Easy Concrete Planters
- Sew Easy Reusable Gift Bags