18 Sewing Tips and Tricks for Beginners from Top Sewing Bloggers. Learn the tricks of the trade here, including what we wish we’d known when we first started sewing.
When you get your first sewing machine, it can be pretty intimidating. Mine collected dust for 10 years before I became better acquainted with it. It wasn’t until I discovered the internet that I really began to delve into sewing and figuring out how to use my machine. I realized it was so much easier than I thought and a lot of projects weren’t so far beyond my reach.
You can find projects that really inspire you to learn how to sew, follow bloggers who inspire you and whose educational style meshes well with your own, and it won’t be as hard as you feared.
But before you get started, here are some tips from some experienced sewing bloggers!
18 Sewing Tips and Tricks for Beginners
Tip 8: “Do the easy bits first. That way you haven’t got much left when the hard bit comes, and you want to see the outcome. Keeps you motivated!” -Carissa of Faith and Felt Obsession
Tip 14: “When trying a new pattern, first make a muslin from inexpensive fabric to find any fit or machine issues before working it up with the final fabric.” -Amanda of CS Custom Clothing
Tutorials to Get Started Sewing
- How to Choose a Sewing Machine
- How to Measure Yourself for Sewing Patterns
- How to Babyproof a Sewing Room
- Sewing Tools that Make Sewing Easier
- Tips for Organizing Fabric
- How to Make an Ironing Station for Sewing
- How- and Why- to Keep a Sewing Journal
- How to Install Snaps
- What is PUL fabric and what can I make with it?
- 23 Projects for Teeshirts and other Knits
Please pin this!