Step 3: Prevention
I have seen these furniture covers in magazines for some time and been coveting them, but haven’t actually picked one up. It always seemed pointless (and expensive) when I had old sheets I could throw over them and I also never could find a cover that would work on my L-shaped couch. I couldn’t just make covers for the cushions because the cushions are sewn into the couch. Sad. That would’ve been way easier as a project! Custom couch coverings were an option but so so expensive.
When I started crafting, I sewed some blankets together to make it cover our couch better, but it’s not very attractive. I just didn’t have the knowledge that I have now about sewing to make one myself, and I definitely didn’t have the knowledge about fabrics. Not that my knowledge is THAT extensive now, but it’s better. So the last part of “saving” this couch is prevention… I need one of these couch coverings because with Baby G, a cocker spaniel, and an australian shepherd, things happen. Frequently. Just yesterday, Baby G upturned half a bowl of oatmeal on it.
The best part is that I found a local home decorator’s fabric yard sale in my area with remnants (most of which was 3 yards or less) for $2 per yard.
I decided that a thick material, preferably polyester (to repel, instead of absorb, the inevitable spills), would be best. It needs to be easy to clean, using the washer and dryer, as our australian shepherd sheds pretty bad. I did not want to make one big cover because my couch is large and one cover would be huge and difficult to fit in the wash. A two part cover is ideal and I can use snaps to hold it together while it’s on the couch. To get the cover to stay on (unlike the sheets that I throw over the couch), we decided to leave a lot of extra fabric in the middle to tuck into the crease between the pillows (our pillows don’t remove, but you can loose stuff in there still) and we wanted a flap to go over the back of the couch enough that it wouldn’t slide down. My cocker spaniel likes to sit on the very top of the couch so that’s helpful.
Yeah, he thinks he’s the boss.
We decided not to do flaps that go over the arms of the couch because the arms don’t get furry, being that they’re leather.
Daddy B was pretty excited about this project so he helped me figure out my measurements. We started by drawing out a pattern and measuring, etc. Daddy B decided it’d be better to just put the fabric on top though and then snip where we wanted it to be. I had a hard time with this- soooo afraid of messing up and wasting fabric- but it worked out. We compared it with our estimated measurements before we cut though.
|After we cut out the design, he tucked it all in to see if it worked before we cut the second piece of material (to go under the main fabric)|
|I put the piece we already cut right sides together with the second material, pinned them together, and carefully cut a matching piece.|
|Then I sewed the fabrics right sides together, leaving an opening to turn and topstitch.|
|I put my cover on the part of the couch that it was made for and realized that the corners needed to be finished to fit on tighter.|
|I folded it like this, and pinned it.|
|I finished this piece of of the cover by sewing a straight stitch up each side where I’d pinned it.|
Here’s how it looks on the end of my couch:
Besides not doing the trim, I also did not round the corners. I was having a hard time visualizing which corner was which and figured I’d just screw it up. I have no issues sewing square corners. I just cut my pieces for all three pillows, finished the edges using a zigzag, and then sewed as explained in the tutorial.