I decided to try to serge a Pul pocket diaper and see how well it worked. I’m a bit concerned about whether or not it’ll wick the urine out of the diaper rather than into it towards the inserts, but I figured I had the fabric and time to give it a try. I was really pleased with how it LOOKS. I cut out my inner and outer fabrics, sewed the loop to the front for the closure, serged the back of the inner fabric for where the inserts will tuck into the pocket, then pinned everything and serged around the whole diaper, except the back part where the insert gets tucked in. I used a rolled hem.
Once that was done, I made a casing by folding down the Pul in the back and also made casings for the leg elastics. I added my elastic, added the hook tabs, and tried it on. Looks good and I think the fit looks really nice.
The first time he wore it, it definitely leaked, but I hadn’t prepped the inserts either so I figure I had that coming. We haven’t had any problems with leaking since so it appears to be fine! I’m glad because I really think this diaper is cute.