Sea bands are used to combat motion sickness or morning sickness. My sea bands saved me during my pregnancy with Baby G, but they are super uncomfortable to wear 24/7 for the first trimester like I did. Basically they’re very warm and soak up sweat easily, they get worn out from all the wear and washing (I threw mine through the wash frequently because they’d get wet and gross), and the fabric just is a bit scratchy. I wanted to upgrade mine.
I’ve been trying to make my own, but I’ve been unable to find the acupressure buttons to buy. I made a pair using some buttons I found at the craft store, but decided to try making covers for the bands that I have as well. The problem with the buttons is that they flop from side to side vs the acupressure buttons on the sea bands stay in one place because they appear to be snapped on, not sewn.
- Sea bands
- Knit fabric
- Sewing machine, etc.
support my blog. Thank you!
I started by taking two pieces of fabric (i used some leftover knit fabric from my yoga pants) that were 7.5″x5.5″. You may want to make them a little longer as I did have issues slipping them on and off easily.
Then I take my sea bands (bought at the grocery store or on Amazon) and put it in the middle of the fabric with the fabric right sides out.
I folded over the edges of the fabric so there are no raw edges showing, inserted a little lace in between and pinned. Make sure to pull the fabric tight as you go around so it doesn’t end up being too small… The sea band is stretchy and your fabric will scrunch up a little with it inside otherwise.
|All done! Aren’t these pretty?|
Ways I’d improve next time:
- Make the fabric longer (I think if I can stretch the SeaBand fully and measure it than that is the length I’d like to do). I’d be interested in making the band covers thinner as well, although I really love how these turned out.
- Before tucking the SeaBands into the cover, I would baste the lace onto the inside of one side of the fabric (after folding the edge over of course). Then I’d insert the Seaband and sew as I did before. I think this would have prevented me from using too little lace like I did on one, as well as kept me from making the bands too small… they were a tight squeeze to get over my hands because the lace has no stretch to it (unlike the fabric and SeaBands) and of course, it’s sewed in place so tightly. I’d also try to do a better job of stretching it all out as I sew everything closed.
The sea bands I tried to make on my own look like this.
For them I made them similarly, but sewed up the sides by folding over the edges and sewed around, leaving a small hole to thread the elastic through. I added the button (hand sewn on), then the elastic, then sewed up the hole.