I reallllly wanted a new rocking chair, but I decided to opt for the expensive DSLR camera so I got some upholstery fabric at a local yard sale to redo our current rocking chair to make myself feel better about the glider not matching with the theme of the room. Ha. I also decided to add extra padding to the bottom cushion so it’s more comfortable; the old one had worn pretty thin and wasn’t as comfortable.
So upholstery fabric- really expensive normally, but a man in Ellicott City, Maryland has these yard sales twice a year and they’re a lot of fun if you like fabric; he does reupholstering as a business so he sells his leftovers.
This is what I got this year (top left picture below is the whole set of stuff before I took it off the roll, the other three pictures are the fabrics once I took them off the roll and folded them nicely. The only one I didn’t take off the roll is the white fabric because there was so much of it):
If you want to make sure everything fits, put the cushion inside while the fabrics are still right sides together and then pin if you need to take it in at all.
Then turn your covers right sides out and slip your cushions inside them.
I laid the old armrest onto some fabric and cut out a piece, leaving extra around the edge for a seam allowance. My new fabric is actually folded over so I only had three sides to sew to make a sort of pillow case for the armrest. I pinned the new fabric right sides together and marked where the snaps are. Before I sewed the fabric together, I made button holes with my sewing machine where those snaps will go. I’m really terrible at this so don’t look too closely at the picture on the right, ha.
After I added the button holes, I sewed up two of the three sides, leaving the top open for me to slip in my old armrest portion. I made sure to line the snaps up with the button holes, then I sort of tucked the fabric around the snaps (I may go back and hand sew this later, but it’s not strictly necessary). I opted to just sew a straight line above the snaps across to minimize shifting. You could top stitch it too if you wanted, but I did not.
Repeat with the other armrest piece. Save these for later.
For the pouch, I figured out the size of the current piece plus a seam allowance. It’s actually a bit bigger than the old pouch once I made it. I cut two 13 x 15″ pieces for each armrest pocket, and one 18×15″ piece for the pocket itself.
The 18×15″ piece is folded in half so it’s 9×15″ and I just sewed across the top of it to create a nice finished edge to my pocket top.
Flip right sides out. Slip your original pocket inside the whole cover.
Fold the edges over on the top and sew, top stitching the whole big pocket portion of the armrest.
Finally fold the edges over on the armrest pieces that you set to the side, and sew them to the pocket pieces. You should be closing up the unfinished side of the armrest piece in the process. Then attach to your glider.
I removed the old cover for the ottoman and then just used a staple gun to staple on a decent size piece of fabric. This is the easiest part, yay. I folded under the edge twice to make sure there were no raw edges showing.