We’ve been toying with the idea of switching to solar power for a while now, despite the large initial investment often required. We were tempted to do solar leasing which requires no investment, but less savings over the life of your solar panels… but decided to purchase the panels as we plan to live in our home for at least ten years and we wanted to see the greater savings.
We talked to quite a few companies, but I felt “eh” about some of them… didn’t like the sales pitches or feeling pressured. We finally decided to meet with Astrum Solar (now Direct Solar Energy) in person after a recommendation from a friend of a friend and they were AWESOME. And they didn’t suck the life out of us with an awful sales pitch that lasted hours… guy was done in record time. 🙂 Best way to sell something- honest, quick, and clear sales presentation. It was really one of the better sales experiences I’ve had.
So I’m going to be posting about our experience as we go along, but I wanted to talk a bit about why we ultimately chose solar power.
Here’s my top reasons…
- To Save Money: Solar panels are a large initial investment that pays off after about 10 years. They add value to your home, and decrease your monthly electric bill. Unused energy goes back into the grid and the electric company pays you the going rate for anything that goes back into the grid.
- Solar Energy Credits: This sort of goes along with #1. These are like stocks for solar. The electric companies need to go green and are supposed to meet a certain amount of clean renewable energy “credits”… you earn the credits by using solar power, then you can sell them to competing electric companies. I’m not sure if this applies just to Maryland or if this is national. Most solar companies give you information on where to go to trade these credits. Astrum Solar does it in house if you would like and does not require a fee for it. So essentially you get paid to have solar power. For now. Once everyone is green, I guess we won’t have same perks but I feel that’s a ways off.
- To Save the Environment: I try to be as conscious as possible of how we effect the environment and I tend to make choices, as possible, that reflect a care for it. Solar power is “free”… the sun is beaming down on us regardless of whether or not we harness the energy. It doesn’t take up any extra space (ie. wind power). It doesn’t produce anything that we have to dispose of (like nuclear).
- Because of the combination of #1 and #3… there are other options to go green, but they don’t all save money. And this was the combination that we believed would save us the most money.
- I want my children to grow up conscious of the environment and to feel they have the power and ability to make choices about making the world a better place. My silly drawing for the post image.. they can’t draw yet, but when they’re asked to draw a home I want them to see a home with solar panels as being an option. I also hope they draw better than I do! Ha.
I don’t get compensated for this post otherwise which is fine. I’m mostly hoping to spread the word that solar power is a viable option for homeowners! Thanks for reading.