To plant strawberries this year, I decided to try using some plastic gutters to plant them in. This was an idea I saw on a random Facebook post that was cycling around, but that had them propped up high on something (I couldn’t tell what as it was only a picture). I didn’t want to put them out of G’s reach (my 30 month old) so I decided to try them off the side of the deck, per my friend Ruth’s suggestion.
I bought one 10′ Raingo White Vinyl gutter for $6.98 and 2 outside ends for it (2 @ $3.28). I bought two more ends, cut off a small piece of the gutter for another project (if the link doesn’t work, it’s because the post hasn’t gone live yet). Total purchase was $20.10, excluding the cost of the soil and the plants.
|Daddy B cutting the gutter for me. I don’t touch sharp objects. Lol.|
|Drilling holes to put the cable ties through.|
|We added a bunch of holes in the sides to use to thread the cable ties through to
hang them up from the porch with, as well as some holes in the bottom for drainage.
I also used soil and strawberry plants… I only got three plants because they should grow on their own and expand into the rest of the gutter. I planted one at each end and one in the middle.
My suggestion if you decide to do this is to make them shorter because ours is so long that the middle of one post interferes with it sitting completely flush with the deck. This tilts it which is going to be annoying if it spills soil.
|Excuse the random crap under our deck. DIY projects gone wrong. Haha.|