I have been working my way through my Hypnobabies home study course and finally finished all of the “classes.” All I have left now is to continue to practice what I’ve learned until K makes his appearance. It’s been an interesting challenge for me because I’m a bit of a skeptic so the idea of a pain free child birth and hypnotizing myself through it all makes me go a little, “eh?” I have found, however, that the information seems to have a good psychological basis.
- Less anxious
- More positive and upbeat
- Less depressed (I’ve been somewhat depressed this pregnancy so it’s awesome to have this as a coping mechanism).
For example, I have:
- TMJ (tension in jaw from grinding teeth while anxious)
- Lower back pain (tension in my lower back when I’m anxious)
- Migraines (tension in my head as a result of anxiety)
- Stomach issues (tension I hold in my stomach that results in stomach issues).
I can tie EVERY single one of these “illnesses” to my anxiety (although my back pain is also aggravated by injuries). At times in my life when I’ve got more stressors and poor anxiety control, these illnesses show up. If I respond by coping with the anxiety, the illness/pain generally goes away. I strongly prefer coping with the anxiety myself to using pain killers, muscle relaxers, anti anxiety medications, etc.
I believe that I can relieve the pain of child birth by relaxing through it and releasing my fear… However, I anticipate that I will still feel as much pain as I allow tension/anxiety to leak through.
I’m really looking forward to a happier, healthier, less anxiety provoking labor with K than I had with G, and hopefully a shorter recovery period due to having a VBAC (vaginal birth after c-section) vs. another c-section. Only 8 more weeks to practice!